Table of Contents
For musicians, their instruments are one of the most prized possessions on earth. They are their mediums for making music, expressing themselves, and ultimately creating an authentic and artistic life. Check out our self storage for your musical instruments for decluttering and safely storing your beloved instruments. Protect them from damage, theft, and extreme weather conditions.
Safeguarding them, then, is a priority and concern for many musicians. But, there is a very good chance that most musicians might not have heard of the storage tip presented in this piece: a self-storage facility. What is it? Why do you need it and is it beneficial? You’ll find the answers below.
Why a self storage for musical instruments storage?
A self storage facility has storage space (rooms, lockers, containers) called ‘storage units’ which are available for rent on a short-term basis. This space can provide storage benefits and conditions that you can’t ensure at home yourself.
The material that your instrument is made of is affected by the climate, the weather, and the humidity levels. Extreme heat, cold, dust, and humidity are the greatest dangers.
Wood is especially prone to expand in humidity and contract in cold, dry conditions. Pianos, which are a combination of wood and metal, are more prone to expansion/ contraction in varying degrees. In a self storage facility, the well-protected environment ensures that your instruments are subjected to minimal exposure to these factors and are well-preserved.
Also, if you pull special instruments out once in a while and do not jam with them regularly, or if there is a period where playing your instruments wouldn’t be possible, then you can opt to keep them in the facility.
Apart from this, some instruments like a grand piano, tubas, drums might be too large to store at your house. At a self-storage facility, you can get the exact space that you need for them. Moreover, you’ll have your key and be able to retrieve them comfortably as you need.
Musical instruments storage tip that you never heard about
Here are a few other general tips for proper storage of musical instruments once they are in the facility and you are going to check on them:
- Use dedicated and special instrument cleaners. Steer clear of household cleaners which can cause damage.
- Instruments that can be broken into sections or parts should be separated to prevent any breakage.
- Loosen drum skins so that they don’t stretch.
- Cover pianos and drums with a tarp or sheet.
- If you want to polish your instrument, avoid oil or alcohol-based polishes.
- If your instrument is going to accompany you everywhere you go (95% of the time), then it’s a good idea to buy a hard case to put it in. These cases come with a velvet lining that provides a bit of cushioning. Over the long haul, though, this cushioning can lead to damage. Hence place an acid-free tissue between the lining and the instrument. For larger instruments (like drums), use clean cotton sheets.
Your instrument deserves the best attention and care. The above pointers will ensure that you and your instrument journey together far and wide to keep on creating fantastic music. Happy storing and music making!
Happy Musical Instruments Storage
Our Storage experts will get in touch with you.