Table of Contents
Bedroom Renovation – In Indian homes, bedrooms are more than mere sleeping spaces; they embody traditions, familial warmth, and personal sanctuaries. The importance of a well-thought-out bedroom remodel goes beyond the visual appeal—it touches the core of daily life. With the help of this complete guide for Indian bedroom remodeling, we’ll explore how to blend tradition and contemporary design elements. For all these reasons, the bedroom needs to reflect your personality while also being a functional space. So, if you have decided to spruce it and give your bedroom a facelift, then you better do it right.
Welcome to this journey of transformation- a guide that delves into the essence of bedroom remodeling. As we explore the color schemes, design elements, and furniture placement, you will discover budget-friendly strategies to help you. Whether you seek to infuse your space with cultural elegance or contemporary trends, our comprehensive guide will help you to craft a bedroom that epitomizes comfort, style, and the essence of home.
Make a Plan for Bedroom Renovation
Planning bedroom renovation is an important step in transforming your Indian bedroom into a haven of comfort and style. This phase involves a thoughtful evaluation of your current space and find the key parameters for a successful renovation.
Decluttering for Bedroom Renovation
- Clearing Exposed Surfaces – These spaces are junk magnets. Pick out the stuff you need and throw out the rest. Bills, ticket stubs, random stationery, long completed to do lists, pieces of jewellery, books and keys are what usually clutter open tabletops. Work your way through them swiftly and efficiently.
- Under the Bed – Most beds come with storage space these days. Open it up and go through the items you have stored there. If you are planning to get a new bed, then you need to have a fair idea of what is under the old one, to make sure the new one has adequate storage space. Get rid of old and faded bedlinen.
- Declutter Your Closet- Take a dive into your wardrobe and get ready to be rid of the tons of unnecessary clothes and accessories. Clothes that you have not used for over six months, are never going to see the light of day. Make a pile of clothes you do not use any more, another with seasonal outfits, another with items if sentimental value and a pile of clothes you use.
- Assess the Quality of the Furniture – You need to decide if you are going to keep any of the old furniture or if you want an entirely fresh look. This does not mean you get rid of everything. A polishing can gloss up all furniture. You could repurpose a side table by placing it in the living room or study. If you are going for a minimalistic look, then you must rent out a self-storage unit to put away all the excess stuff you own.
Set a Budget for Bedroom Remodeling
Creating a realistic budget is important for a successful renovation. Take stock of your financial resources and make a clear spending plan. Factor in costs for materials, labor, and any additional expenses that may arise during the renovation process. This proactive approach will help you stay on track and avoid any financial burdens.
Identify Renovation Priorities for your Bedroom
Prioritizing your renovation goals ensures that the most important aspects of your bedroom transformation are addressed first. Whether it’s upgrading furniture, advanced lighting, or revamping the overall aesthetic, identifying priorities will guide the renovation process. Consider what aspects are most important for your desired outcome and allocate resources accordingly.
Design Inspiration for Bedroom Renovation
Once you have decluttered the bedroom, you will have an idea as to how much are you going to retain. This will give you an idea about what space you need to create or maintain for these items. An intensive renovation project will require inputs from an interior designer and a contractor. It is best to the hire skilled workers rather than take on the task singlehandedly.
When embarking on a journey to revamp your Indian bedroom, drawing inspiration from both traditional and modern design elements can create a rich space. Let’s explore two distinct avenues of design inspiration –
- Traditional Indian Elements: Infuse deep reds and earthy tones with intricate paisley or floral patterns for a vibrant traditional touch. For furniture one can opt for ornate wooden pieces, like carved bed frames and wardrobes, to evoke timeless elegance.
- Modern Fusion Trends: Choose simplicity with clean lines and a neutral palette, allowing key pieces to shine, while using smart home features for enhanced functionality and style.
Before you seek out the professionals, you need to do some homework as well.
- Make a note of themes and colour schemes that appeal to you.
- List out bedroom design ideas that you like.
- Think about built-in shelves and cabinets as well as movable furniture.
- Walk-in wardrobes are growing in popularity. If you do not have one now, you may want to explore that possibility with your interior designer.
- Things you can consider changing or adding to the room include headboards, hidden lighting, carpets, and wallpaper.
- The flooring and ceiling can also be remodelled. Look up options.
- Create a folder and organise your thoughts and ideas, before sitting with your interior designer.
- Set a budget and a timeline.
Hire the Professionals
Do not settle for the first name that comes up on your search list. Look up several interior designers. Check out the work they have done. Get basic quotes to know if they will suit your budget. Read client reviews. If the designer has worked with someone you know or in the neighborhood, try and get first-hand feedback. Look at the work they have done. If you like their work, meet them for the first round of discussion. This will give you a fair idea about whether you can work with the person or not. The project might take a few weeks to complete, and you will have to interact with the designer on a regular basis. The same applies to the contractor you hire in case there is construction work involved.
Some points to keep in mind while hiring:
- Do not lose sight of your ideas when discussing with the designer. It is your bedroom and your ideas count.
- Give them the budget and timeline at the outset of the project. Make sure they stick to both.
- Keep in constant touch with the designer and the contractor, to ensure everything is going as per plan. Even the slightest delay or deviation from the plan needs your approval.
- If there is a lot of construction work involved, be sure to clear out your bedroom and ensure the workers do not cause any structural damage to the room.
Clear out the space
A renovation project usually calls for breaking down walls and building new ones. This could range from adding a cabinet here or a chandelier there. The people you have hired for the job will be walking around with machinery and tools. To prevent damage to your possessions, the bedroom needs to be completely cleared out for the period of the renovation. Clothes, furniture, curtains, and even the bed. It is hard enough living a normal life with stranger walking in and out, without cluttering the rest of the house with items from the bedroom under renovation. The best solution would be to pack everything and put them in a self-storage unit. Self-storage facilities offer 24/7 security and are accessible around the clock as well. You can rent out a space for the duration of the project and put your belongings there. You can even retain the storage unit to keep items that you use rarely.
Ideas for Bedroom Renovation
It is always best to make a note of your own thoughts and ideas for your bedroom before meeting with the interior designer to give him/ her a glimpse at your taste and what you would like to do. Here are some ideas to get your creative juices going before you meet with the interior designer.
1. The Theme & Colour Scheme
There are several themes and colours that you can work with. Feel like royalty by going for a regal theme and picking luxurious silks and gilded furniture and furnishing. Keeping everything white, grey, and minimal is in keeping with the minimalistic trend of today. If you love colour, pick a bright palette, and work it into the tiles, ceiling, lighting, wallpaper, and curtains. For the more sombre folks, darker shades will keep your bedroom like the den you seek comfort in. Just remember that once you settle on a theme, you need to pick out everything else to match the theme.
2. The Walls
The walls are your canvas of creativity. A popular trend is to have one wall in complete contrast to the rest of the room. A bold textured wall is an effortless way to spruce up the room. You could either paint the wall or pick a wallpaper. From an Indian bedroom perspective, painting is the most picked choice for the simple reason that it is easier to give a touch-up when the colour dims. However, superior quality wallpaper lasts for up to 15 years, with no need up a touch-up at all. Get professionals to do the pasting and you do not need to worry about it ripping or coming undone.
The variety in design when it comes to wallpaper is at par with the innumerable paint shades available in the market today. Increasingly urban homeowners are opting for wallpaper these days because it adds more character to the room and helps build on whatever theme you land on. From floral wallpaper designs to abstract patterns, geometric art and traditional motifs, there is about everything. It is a tad costlier that a paint job, so if you can work it into your budget, then give it a go.
3. The Bed
This is, of course, the star of the room. Give your old bed a good hard look. If it is in good condition and suits the theme, then you can keep it. A good polishing can work wonders. In case you are going to pick out a new bed, then get the room dimensions right before heading out to the furniture store. While four poster beds are tempting, they do take up a ton of space. You need to have room to walk around in the bedroom. Do not cramp up the space with a huge bed. Co-sleeping is a widespread practice in Indian households. Make sure the bed is big enough for everyone to sleep in comfortably. Some urban designs have replaced the storage space with a small pull-out bed. If you have a small child, this could work for you if the whole piece will fit in your bedroom.
4. The Headboard
You do not need to pick a bed with a fancy headboard. Instead install a fancy headboard against the wall. You could go for a full-length headboard that reaches the ceiling to make an emphatic statement. Velvet headboards add a dash of luxury, while wooden headboards are subtle yet elegant. Strip lighting along the sides will give a halo effect to your bed. You could go for personalised designs or intricate carvings – options are in plenty.
5. Lighting for Bedroom Renovation
The key to creating an inviting ambiance lies in the thoughtful selection of lighting fixtures and ensuring optimal ventilation. Lighting sets the mood and showcases the room’s aesthetics. When considering lighting options, delve into the rich tapestry of Traditional Indian choices. You can choose ornate chandeliers, intricate lanterns, or warm-hued pendant lights that infuse cultural charm. On the other side, embrace modernity with energy-efficient choices like LED fixtures. Not only do these options conserve energy, but they also provide a contemporary flair to your space.
6. The Ceiling and The Flooring
When we talk about walls most people forget the fifth one just over head! You can create as much drama with your ceiling design as with your heard board. Wooden panelling or rafters can really enhance the overall look of the room. You can even add a false ceiling with some hidden lights or spotlights for some more drama. Give the ceiling a carved fringe or a splash of colourful paint for some added beauty. You could also put some wallpaper up there! Consider the kind of lighting fixtures that need to go on the ceiling while you plan the design.
The next important aspect of the room is the flooring. Lighter floors give the room a nice bright and vibrant energy. Wooden flooring is an elegant add on. However, given the scope for damage and costs for repair, more homeowners are going for laminates that mimic wooden floors. It is easier to maintain are look quite as elegant as the original. Many Indian families still maintain the joint-family set-up which means there are elders at home, as well as kids. Going for anti-skid flooring is a good option.
7. Furniture Selection
On the journey of renovating your Indian bedroom involves careful consideration of furniture selection and arrangement. When it comes to choosing furniture, prioritize pieces that seamlessly merge functionality with style.
- Opt for bed frames with built-in storage, such as those with under-bed drawers, or invest in multipurpose furniture like ottomans that serve both storage and seating purposes.
- Choose the timeless charm of traditional Indian furniture styles, incorporating intricately carved wooden pieces to infuse cultural aesthetics.
- For optimal furniture arrangement, strategically position your bed against the longest wall to create an illusion of spaciousness.
- Explore space-saving options, such as floating shelves or wall-mounted storage units, allowing natural light to permeate the room, for an open atmosphere.
- Explore built-in wardrobes or modular closet systems for efficient organization, and utilize under-bed space for concealed storage.
- Use the decorative storage baskets or trunks, this will add flair to your decor but also provide practical and visually appealing storage solutions.
8. The Wardrobe
Next to the bed, the most important piece of furniture in your bedroom is your wardrobe. Before the renovation begins, be sure to declutter the wardrobe. Make sure the wardrobe has enough space to hand clothes as well as shelves for folded clothes. Design large top shelves to store clothes, footwear, and other accessories that you use rarely. Place them in specially designed clothes storage boxes that keep them safe from going mouldy or motheaten. Allow for ample space to hang your clothes because this saves you from the need of folding them, which is one of the biggest reasons why wardrobes are messy. Hanging clothes on a hanger also help air out the clothes as well as reduces wrinkles. Build open cubby holes into your wall to hold your handbags. Get organisers for your accessories and get into the habit of using them. Declutter your wardrobe every few months to keep it neat and tidy.
9. Vastu Shastra
Designing a space according to the science of vastu shastra will enhance the positive energy in the room. If you wish to design your bedroom in accordance with the laws of vastu, call in an expert at the very beginning of the project. The vastu expert must work in tandem with the interior designer to redesign the room the right way. Some common vastu suggestions:
- If you cannot change the entrance of the bedroom altogether, then you can ensure your sleeping direction is right. Place your head towards the south or the east for a sound peaceful sleep.
- Avoid placing mirrors such that they reflect the bed. If possible, no mirrors on the doors of the wardrobe.
- The mirror needs to be placed at least four feet above the ground and adjacent to the bed so that it does not reflect you while sleeping.
- Place a pleasant object in your line of sight when you open the door to the bedroom.
- Try to avoid installing a TV in your bedroom. If you must have a TV in there, fix it on the southeast wall.
All these rules and many more are based on the flow of positive energy. Those who believe in Vastu Shastra must consult with a specialist at the time of construction of the house to make sure the entire house is vastu compliant.
By meticulously planning, considering cultural design elements, and prioritizing comfort, you can transform your space into a peaceful sanctuary. From furniture selection to lighting and ventilation, each step contributes to a personalized haven that reflects your style. Whether embracing traditional charm or integrating contemporary trends, this step-by-step guide helps you to create a space that not only aligns with Indian sensibilities but also caters to your individual preferences. Elevate your living space, immerse yourself in cultural aesthetics, and relish the joy of a revitalized bedroom sanctuary.
To save your possessions from damage during the renovation, call Self-Storage India and rent out a temporary storage unit to store your things safely.
A. Renovating your bedroom give you comfort, aesthetics, and functionality, providing a rejuvenating space reflective of your style.
A. Start your bedroom renovation by assessing your current layout, identifying priorities, and setting a realistic budget for the renovation process.
A. Traditional Indian bedrooms often incorporate vibrant colors, intricate patterns, and specific furniture styles, reflecting cultural aesthetics.
A. Yes, fusion design is popular; you can blend traditional elements with modern trends for a unique and personalized space.
A. Choose functional and stylish furniture, consider storage needs, and ensure optimal arrangement for efficient space utilization.
A. Go for eco-friendly materials, energy-efficient lighting, and sustainable furniture options to make your renovation environmentally conscious.
A. Prioritize essential renovations, explore affordable alternatives, and consider DIY projects to manage costs without compromising quality.
A. Regular cleaning, proper care of materials, and addressing maintenance needs promptly contribute to preserving the renovated space.
Our Storage experts will get in touch with you.